Monday, January 21, 2013

Chapter 20


Khushi: I did buy those plants. I felt guilty because I thought I was the cause of your problems with Lavanyaji. I thought if I sent these plants that you would forgive Lavanyaji. I felt terrible that I had caused problems between you two.
Arnav: Khushi ' I never wanted to commit to marrying Lavanya because I never loved her. I knew she deserved better and that's why I always avoided the topic. She was simply a good friend to me. I had told her in the beginning my views and she was fine with it until you changed her mind. But why would you sell something so precious of yours for Lavanya?
Khushi: Not for Lavanya, for you. She casted her eyes down and slowly explained. I thought that she made you happy and if I sent the plants then you would be happy again with her.
Arnav: I've told you before that I had strong feelings for you back then. I guess circumstances were against us. Lavanya herself realized that I was in love with you.

Khushi: What? Is that why she left?
Arnav: Yes. She later told me that she knew I was in love with you. She said we were two stubborn people who wouldn't admit. She was right to some extent. How come you never told me about this?
Khushi: It happened so long ago. First I didn't even remember and then when I did, I didn't see any point in mentioning it as I knew you would be upset.

Arnav: I wish you had told me. You can't keep hiding things from me whether it is from the past or present. However you need to realize that you can't fix everything in the world or even try to. Anyways, open the bag.
Khushi slowly opened the bag. She saw her jhumkas and there was another box as in there as well. He urged her to open it. She opened the lid to the box which revealed her mother's bangle. A look of joy lit up her face as she continued to look at in shock.
Arnav: This is for you. I had brought you here all along with the intention of getting this for you.
Khushi: I'm just surprised that they still had this.
Arnav: Err actually they didn't. I called the shop yesterday and they informed me that it had been sold. Luckily they had a record of who they had sold it to. I had them track down the customer and bought it back for you.
Khushi: Haww! Then why didn't you tell me? Why did you torture me? I was so nervous in the store that someone would say something.
Arnav: Precisely. I wanted you to tell me in your own way. I had the saleslady pretend to remember you and say the things that she did.
Khushi: So you tricking me and lying to me is ok. But when I do that then you seem to have a problem.
Arnav: I was just temporarily tricking you to make a point. I told you yesterday that I don't want you sacrificing your wants, even it's for me!
Khushi: So what should I have done? Let you continue to blame me for every single problem in your life.
Arnav ran his fingers through his hair. When would this stubborn girl understand? The problem had never been her but always him.
Arnav: Sometimes actions can backfire. Let's say hypothetically that your plan had worked. Lavanya and I had gotten back together based on a lie that you set forth. Do you think Lavanya would have been happy? Don't you think she deserved someone who loved her wholeheartedly ? Do you think that I would have found happiness? Or even you for that matter? Sometimes we need to let things take its due course. Do you understand what I'm saying?

She nodded and he began reversing the car to head home.
Khushi couldn't believe that she had her mother's bangle back. He had gone through so much trouble to get it back for her. He had simply stated that she had a need to fix everything. She just wanted to see the people around her happy. She felt as if she had made a mistake so she tried to rectify it. Didn't he realize that it had been hard for her to sell her mother's bangle and to attempt to bring him and Lavanya together again. Why couldn't he understand? She thought wistfully about Lavanyaji and how they had become such good friends in such a short amount of time. She felt sad as indirectly she had been the cause of Lavanyaji's pain. She hoped that wherever her dear friend she was safe and happy.

*************************************************************************************
She awoke the next morning with butterflies in her stomach. Her first day at AR. She had mixed emotions as she had good and bad memories there. The few times she had visited there the staff had been very courteous towards her. Of course they would now as she was the boss's wife. She decided to wear a saree today as it had been some time since she had worn a saree. She still planned to continue wearing Western outfits as well, and Arnav had specified that he was absolutely fine with her wearing suits and sarees occasionally.

Akash and NK had already left for the office and Arnav patiently waited for her to finish breakfast so they could head out. He frowned as he noticed that she was not wearing her mother's bangle. She had been awfully quiet last night and he was slightly worried about her. He was very happy that she would no longer be working for Rohan. He turned on some music in the car hoping it would cheer her up.
Arnav: Is everything alright Khushi?
Khushi: I'm just slightly nervous about bring back at AR.
Arnav: Don't worry about anything. I have some projects for you to do which I think you will enjoy. Staff will help you and I know you don't like boring meetings so you don't have to attend those. However I may need some signatures from you from time to time.

They reached AR and Arnav headed up to his cabin. He had instructed NK and Akash to keep her busy as he wanted to check on her new office that he had Aman set up for her.
NK: Khushiji! Welcome! Now you are the boss lady. I think I should get you some coffee, or I mean chai.
Akash: NK bhai  you are too much! Khushiji if you need anything at all please don't hesitate to ask me. I am always ready to help you. The staff here is also excellent. They are always ready to help wholeheartedly.
Khushi: Thank you Nanheji and Jijaji.
Then Aman came over and greeted everyone. "Ma'm ASR is waiting for you upstairs. Please head up." "Thank you Amanji. Please don't call me Ma'm, Khushi is fine."

Arnav was waiting for her and quickly led her to another office. She gasped as he pointed to the name plate that said Khushi Singh Raizada.  He rested the name plate on the front of the desk. She took in the plush leather chair, colorful paintings, and the plants that he had in the corner. There was a small sofa as well placed against the wall. She rushed over and gave Arnav a big hug. She was elated with her new office. Arnav hugged her tightly. "I'm glad you like your new office. I wanted you to have your own space to work freely. If you want to make any changes let Aman know ok. Why don't you take today to familiarize yourself with what's going on and we can take it from there. Also Maya from Rohan's company will be meeting with you, Aman, and Akash to discuss about the fashion show. Since you were working on it I thought you would like to see it through."

Just then Aman knocked and entered. "Khushi how did you like your office?" "I liked it very much. Thank you for your help." Aman smiled as he glanced over at ASR who was glaring at him.

Arnav: Aman is Khushi your sister?
Aman: No sir
Arnav: Is she your friend?
Aman: Well not exactly'
ASR: Then why the hell do you feel you can address her as Khushi. Have you forgotten she's my wife?

No comments:

Post a Comment