NK had heard him and replayed the sentence in his mind. "When you took Khushi shopping how did she pay for her clothes?" He looked at his face and could clearly make out the anger and frustration on his face. His tone was harsh and he had his arms folded while he was impatiently waiting for an answer. What kind of mess had Khushi landed him in? He couldn't tell Nannav the truth nor could he betray his friend.
What to do?
NK: Has anyone told you to getting angry is not good for your health?
Arnav: NK DON'T TEST MY PATIENCE. ANSWER THE QUESTION!
NK: I think you should ask Khushiji this question as these were her purchases.
Arnav: NK I'm tired of you beating around the bush. I'm going to ask you point blank. Did you pay for Khushi's clothes?
NK: Yes
Arnav: Unbelievable! Why didn't you come and tell me? Ok how much do I owe you?
NK: He fidgeted nervously as small beads of sweat started to form on his forehead. Um Nannav, you don't have to worry about paying me back. Khushiji said she will handle it.
Arnav: WHAT DO YOU MEAN BY SHE WILL HANDLE IT?
NK: I'm sorry but I cannot say anything more. I think you should ask Khushiji..
Arnav: I'm telling you NK. If you know what's good for you then you will tell me immediately what you meant by that.
NK sighed. He knew that he had to tell Nannav the truth. Hopefully Khushiji would forgive him.
NK: Nannav Khushiji asked me to loan her some money for her clothes and that she would pay me back with her first paycheck. She did not want you to know about our arrangement.
NK slowly started treading backward as he knew Nannav's temper was about to shoot through the roof.
Arnav: WHAT THE! AND HOW THE HELL DID YOU AGREE TO THAT NK?
NK: I'm sorry Nannav but Khushiji is my friend and I had to respect her wishes. He quickly ran out of the room before Arnav could say anything further. God help Khushiji he thought.
Arnav stepped out of the room and found Hari Prakash who was heading downstairs. He ordered HP to find Khushi and tell her to come upstairs immediately. He was fuming. Khushi and her stupid independent streak. He decided enough was enough! Downstairs, HP found Khushi in the kitchen and relayed the message. "Bhabhi ' Bhaiyya seems very upset. Please go quickly." She wondered what had gotten Arnav so riled up as she entered the room. He had his back to the door but quickly turned around as she closed the door behind her.
Arnav: Khushi - how dare you take a loan from NK. Why couldn't you ask me for money?
Khushi mouth dropped open. How did he find out about this? NK had told him about their arrangement? But why?
Arnav: Don't look so shocked! NK did not tell me. I figured out myself while I was going through the credit card bills and I cornered NK into telling me. NOW TALK!
Damn Khushi though! Arnav was too smart and of course he would figure everything out! But she was not scared of him.
Khushi: What is there to be so angry about? I needed some clothes and I arranged for them.
Arnav: But why a loan Khushi? I would have paid for your clothes!
Khushi: Thank you but I don't need your money! I am perfectly capable of taking care of my needs! Just like I have been doing so.
Arnav: Oh really? So you've been paying me rent? Or paying for the mountains of jalebis you make when you're upset? I've told you before and I'm telling you again. You have an EGO problem Khushi! You're my wife and you have the right to spend the money I earn. I've always helped you Khushi. Who helped you when you didn't have money for Buaji's rent? Remember that?
Khushi: I earned that money fair and square!
Arnav: Oh please Khushi. You think anyone can earn 24,000 in 24 hours by wrapping a few gifts and entertaining me. I was just having fun with you but I gave you that money because I wanted to! Just like when I wanted to help you with your father's hospital bills.
Khushi: HAWW! I told you I would earn for a month but you insisted on 24 hours. That was your idea. And if you had not helped me I have full faith that my Devi Maiyya would have helped me. Just like how she helped me win the silver coins last Diwali.
Arnav: Really? Well guess what. Your Devi Maiyya had nothing to do with that! I put those silver coins in the detergent packets so you could win. I knew how stubborn you were and wouldn't accept it!
Khushi watched the satisfaction on Arnav's face. He had put the coins in there? To see a smile on her face? She realized that he was right. She had been dependent on him even though she had not wanted to. Tears welled up in her eyes and she fled from there not wanting to face him anymore. Arnav angrily threw a glass shattering it to pieces as he watched Khushi leave the room.
The rest of the family were downstairs and heard the glass shattering. They all ran up to see what was going on. Payal and NK followed Khushi while Anjali and Akash went to talk to Arnav. Payal steered a crying Khushi into her room. She sobbed while Payal held her and tried to control her. NK just stood there feeling guilty as hell, as he knew he was part of the reason for her state. "What happened Khushi?" asked Payal. "Did you have a fight with Arnavji?" Khushi didn't say a word but eventually her sobs died down. "Khushi you stay here, I'm going to bring you some water and then we'll talk ok." NK took the opportunity to talk one on one with Khushi. "Khushiji ' I'm so sorry. I had no choice but to tell Nannav the truth. But Khushiji Nannav really loves you. Why won't you let him pay for your clothes? He has a lot of money you know. Paying for your clothes is not going to make him bankrupt. Paying for Mamji's clothes however maybe but not yours." he smiled and joked with Khushi. His tactic worked as Khushi broke out in a half smile thinking of Mamiji's shopping capabilities. Payal then reentered to see Khushi smiling. A wave of relief came over. Pagal she thought. Crying one minute and laughing the next. That's why she was their beloved Sanka Devi.
Back in the room Anjali and Akash were trying to talk to their brother but to no avail. He simply wouldn't talk. Anjali began again "Look Chotte ' we know you have a bad tempter but.." however Arnav cut her off. "But what Di? I know you all think highly of Khushi but that doesn't mean she is always right!" Akash started speaking then. "Bhai no one is saying you were wrong. But with women they need to be handled delicately. That's all. Try staying calm and cool." "When did you become the expert Akash?" Arnav sighed as he didn't mean to be rude. Please just leave me alone. Actually find Khushi and tell her our discussion isn't finished. They left and found Khushi in much better spirits with Payal and NK.
Anjali: "Khushiji ' please go talk to Chotte. You know how his temper his but he loves you a lot. Don't be so affected by his words. Please go and calm him down." Payal gave Khushi a hug and whispered in her, Call me if you need me ok. Don't worry everything will be fine. Akash and NK smiled encouragingly at her as she headed back to talk to Arnav.
Sure enough he seemed as if he had calmed down. Arnav calmy walked over to Khushi, clasped her hand in his, and led her to sit on the bed. He softly said, Let's talk.
ok I am the first one to comment here!
ReplyDeleteso arnav already have ego problem and khushi just hit the right button. actually both have ego. I think arnav have right because he is her husband and no husband like when his wife do this but khushi have a point as well because arnva have not been the perfect husband.
latha