Khushi and Arnav were getting ready upstairs. He smiled as she went into the washroom to change her clothes. They had been married for months away, but she still insisted in changing in the washroom. He chuckled. She came out and looked absolutely ravishing in her red anarkali suit. He was about to head towards her, just when he heard a knock on the door.
Payal: Khushi ' Rohan & Maya are here. Please come quickly.
Khushi rushed out and told Arnav to finish getting ready as she sprinted out the door. Arnav walked downstairs unnoticed. He began approaching Khushi, Payal, Akash and Rohan as he heard Rohan ask about him.
Khushi replied. "Arnav is getting ready in his room. He should be down shortly."
Arnav grimaced slightly listening to her response. He did not miss her choice of words. The fact that she referred to their room as his irritated him, especially in front of Rohan. Rohan happened to spot Arnav.
Rohan: ASR! Nice to see you! Thanks for inviting me over!
Arnav: Khushi & I are glad you could join us in our home for dinner.
He glanced over at Khushi who didn't seem to catch on to his innuendo. Khushi and Payal excused themselves to assist with serving of dinner. He glanced over at NK, who was engrossed in a conversation with Maya. NK was crazy he thought! He developed a crush on every girl he saw. Yet it was Arnav who had a reputation as a Casanova! Unbelievable!
*************************************************************************************
Rohan: Wow that is quite a spread! A bachelor like me is not used to eating so much for dinner. Khushi & Payal you shouldn't have gone through all this trouble.
Khushi: Well I didn't do much honestly. We had a meeting at work so Jiji and Di managed everything.
Rohan: Well the food is delicious.
Maya: It is very scrumptious and I am thoroughly enjoying myself.
Anjali: Rohan ' you just mentioned you were a bachelor. It sounds like it is about time you should have someone to take care of you.
Rohan choked on his food. Khushi had a surprised look while Arnav smirked at Rohan's reaction.
Rohan: Um yes Anjaliji. I guess you are right.
Anjali: It must be difficult living in a city with no family, right?
Rohan: Well it's ok. I miss my family but I manage just fine.
Anjali: Quite adjusting fellow you are. Such a good trait to have for a husband!
Rohan: Thank you. I think I need some more time to get settled maybe.
Nani- That's the problem with today's younger generation. They always need more time for this or more time for that. Our Chotte didn't want to get married either but look how happy he is now.
Rohan: I never said I don't want to get married but'
Nani: Now that's what I want to hear! Khushi's bitiya's family friend, is like our family friend. So whenever you need anything do let us know.
He fidgeted nervously in his chair and focused his eyes to the food on the plate. He guzzled down some cold water. Rohan decided to divert the topic off of him and his marriage which was making him quite uncomfortable. He was certainly not planning to get married anytime soon.
Rohan: So NK you're from Australia right?
NK: Yes I am.
Rohan : How do you like India vs. Australia?
NK : Well I love it here, mostly because of the people. I really like the people and atmosphere here.
How many times would NK stress people, thought Arnav! He glanced around the table and it was obvious that the entire family was trying to hide their smiles or stifle their laughs. Maya had the slightest blush on her face and was deeply concentrating her food. He was thoroughly enjoying Rohan's discomfort at the marriage talk. While Rohan had successfully evaded the subject for now, he was sure Di would bring it up again soon.
Akash: So Rohan - you have seen Payal when she was younger. Please tell me something I don't know.
Rohan: Payal was the same as she is now, sweet and sensible! Khushi on the other hand was another story..
Arnav muttered under his breath "Why am I not surprised!"
Khushi: What? Me? What do you mean by that? I was such a sweet child.
Rohan: You were quite mischievous. Khushi was obsessed with having fun and she always used to entertain us with her stories about her future Raj Kumar (Prince Charming). She was quite a character!
Arnav raised his eyebrow, quite interested with the last statement of Rohan's. Khushi had not spoken much about her dreams or childhood fantasies. He would love to hear some childhood stories of Khushi. But before he could inquire further Mamiji began speaking.
Mamiji: Rohan beta. Have more food! All of you are simply asking him question and no one is letting him eat! She added quite a few more heapings of food to his food.
Rohan looked at his despairingly and wondered he was going to eat so much food. He saw Mamiji giving him a smile, flashing those pearly whites. She walked back to her chair rather stiffly, then turned and poised like a model, and then proceeded to sit down. She could be a good candidate for toothpaste advertisements, he thought. He glanced up and saw that she gave him a goofy grin. His eyes wandered over to the clock, and it was still quite early. It was going to be a long evening!
*************************************************************************************
Dinner was now over and they had assembled in the living room for tea and dessert. Arnav and Khushi were sitting on the loveseat together, with the rest of the family scattered around.
Anjali: Rohan - would you like to see Khushi and Payal's wedding albums?
Rohan: Sure I would love to!
She gave him the albums and an envelope of pictures fell from inside the album. He decided to go through these pictures first. These weren't pictures of Khushi or Payal. They seemed to be pictures of different females in single poses. "Um whose pictures are these?", he asked.
Anjali dramatically slapped her hand to her forehead. "Hai Bhagwaan! My mistake! I totally forgot that I put those in there."
Nani : Actually the Panditji came by recently and gave us these pictures as possible marriage proposals. These are all nice girls.
Rohan: Oh I get it. These must be for NK right?
NK spun his head around in sheer shock! "WHAT!! Di ! Naniji! Marriage proposals for me??
Anjali: Relax NK Bhai. These are not for you. We are well aware of your condition that you will only fall in love. These are not for you. Unless of course you have changed your mind'.
Rohan laughed. NK had a confused look on his face. It sounded as if this guy mirrored the same mindset that he did. Rohan most certainly enjoyed dating and his bachelor life, and would only get married if he was hopelessly in love. If he ever fell in love that is!
Rohan: Yes NK. Check out this girl! I think you will like her, she looks very pretty.
He went to pass the picture to NK, but Anjali literally snatched the picture out of his hands. Nani also got up and smiled as she came to see the picture.
Nani: This is Sonia. She is such a sweet and loving girl, and her family and background are excellent.
Anjali: I think that Sonia and Rohanji would make a great couple! Hai na Nani!
Unfortunately, Rohan had chosen that moment to take a sip of his tea. When he heard Anjali's statement he swallowed too fast and started choking. Mamiji came over and started patting his back to try and alleviate his discomfort. She then handed him some water to drink, which he gulped down. Mamiji stared at him continuously until his coughing fit had subsided. He brought his hand up to adjust his collar slightly, feeling quite suffocated. This was a peculiar family!




Awesome chapter
ReplyDeleteAnjali has taken an oath to get rohan settled by hook or by Crook
Mamiji is funny though