
Chapter 44
Khushi sat down after her busy morning going over all the final details. The models had thoroughly enjoyed her food, and admitted that they only given into temptation since Khushi had made it everything herself. They reiterated that they would be on a low fat diet until the show. The designing team had taken all the last models for last minute alterations. She grabbed a jalebi from the plate, about to bite into her favorite scrumptious sweet. All of a sudden a wave of nausea hit her and the thought of a jalebi repulsed her. She tried ignoring it and opened her mouth, but the fact was that she simply did not feel like indulging in jalebis. This was weird, she thought to herself!
******************************************************************************
Lavanya had settled in at her hotel and after changing into a salwar kameez, she was ready to head to Raizada mansion. She took a hold of the gift bags, counting to make sure that she hadn't forgotten anything. She had put a great deal of thought into the gifts for the Raizadas.
A short while later, she stood outside the door ringing the doorbell, regretting that she had planned this as surprise. The door opened and she found Anjali Di gawking at her with her mouth dropped open. "La La Lavanyaji!" she stuttered. Lavanaya immediately engulfed her in a big hug, her own emotions getting the better of her. She was aware of how much Di had suffered in the past few months. She quickly wiped away a tear, silently wondering why such terrible things had happened to such a good person like Anjali.

"Di, you look wonderful!" she exclaimed warmly.
"Lavanyaji , I can't believe it's you! Come in please. Naniji , Mamiji, Payalji come quickly and see who has come!" she shouted.
A loud shriek was heard as Mamiji made entered the living room, noticing the person that was sitting on the sofa. Lavanya greeted Mamiji wholeheartedly. "Mamiji, what is this? How have you managed to look younger?" she complimented. Mamiji beamed as she said "Hello Hi Bye Bye! See vith the bahus doing all zee work I have more time for my beauty!"
Naniji rolled her eyes. "Yes Manorma! We all know how much housework you used to do before Khushi and Payal came." Lavanya bent down to touch her feet and she looked lovingly at the girl who had made a special part in their hearts.
Payal joined in as well, however remained silent. They all huddled around Lavanya as she began to narrate her happenings since the left Delhi. She had briefly spent some time in Mumbai after landing a great modeling contract in Australia.
She described Australia in detail, and her obvious adoration for Sydney was noted. She spoke proudly of her career accomplishments. She was blessed to have received such amazing opportunities. Modeling in Australia was a whole different level of glitz and glamour she explained. She recalled silently at her feelings of hopelessness and despair when she had left Shantivan. She had left with no purpose in life, but was grateful to have bounced back from that low phase of her life. She then remembered that she had completely forgotten to give the token gifts that she had bought. She reached over for the gift bags. She gave Naniji her gift first which was an Australian tea mug and a saree. Mamiji simply loved the name brand makeup kit that she had been gifted with. Anjali and Payal were equally delighted with their charm bracelets and the plush kangaroo bears. Mamiji was curious about the remaining bags and couldn't help but ask about them.
"Manorma!" scolded Nani at her boldness and lack of etiquette.
"It's ok Naniji. I don't mind. Actually one bag is for Aarav. I got him a boomerang and some Australian chocolates. The second bag is for Akash which is a key chain. The last two bags are for Chamkili and ASR. Where is she by the way?" as she looked around for her.
"They should be reaching any moment Lavanyaji. They are on their way home from the office." as Di pondered on whether she should call Chotte to let him know that Lavanyaji was here. Before she could contemplate it further she heard the door open.
Khushi and Arnav walked in to hear a squeal and khushi's mouth dropped open as she turned to see Lavanya rushing towards her. Khushi stood a little shell shocked , her mouth open but unable to formulate words as Lavanya engulfed her in a big hug. She glanced over at Arnav who seemed equally surprised. "Chamkili! Look at you, you are wearing western clothes!" as she pulled away to get a good look at her, slightly surprised to see her this way. She then sprung towards ASR and gave him a friendly hug. Khushi couldn't help but feel a little jealous at Lavanya's hugging her husband.

Arnav gave her a quick hug to welcome her and then took a step back. "Lavanya when did you arrive in Delhi? You should have informed me and I would have sent a car to pick you up."
"ASR it's fine! I actually wanted to surprise you all. Well enough about me. I want to hear about the married couple." she declared. Truth be told, she had been excited to see ASR but nervous to meet Chamkili. ASR and her had parted in good terms and had stayed in touch over the past couple of months. However, she had not spoken to Chamkili since she had left, so she was a little nervous as whether or not Chamkili would be upset with her.
*********************************************************************************************
Lavanya and Khushi were now enjoying some dessert by the poolside, after a joyous dinner with the family. Arnav and family had decided that it was time for the two friends to catch up. Khushi was silently staring at the stars, utterly confused as to how to begin the conversation. She reminisced their fun times together, and was saddened that there was so much hesitation between them.
"What is this Chamkili? Since when have you become so quiet?" she joked with her in an attempt to lighten up the mood.
"I was just thinking about our fun times together." she exclaimed wistfully. She recollected one of their fun moments of when they both danced on the bed, carefree and oblivious.


"We had so much fun Chamkili! I missed you so much in Australia. Thankfully I have made friends but no one is as fun or crazy as you." she admitted heartily. It was quite ironic how they had bonded in a short amount of time, even though she had despised Khushi in the beginning.
"You are ok right Lavanyaji. I was so worried about you after everything that had happened." Khushi confided in a hesitant manner. She wasn't sure exactly how to broach the subject.
"It was difficult for me at first. I didn't know what to do or how to pull my life back together. I decided to focus on my career and that eventually led me to Australia, where I created a new world for myself. But tell me about you. You know I knew ASR loved you. When did you two actually realize it?" Lavanya questioned.
"If you knew that why didn't you tell me when you left? I never fully understood exactly what had transpired that led you to leave. I did not find out until much later. After that I presumed that you had chosen to avoid me. " Khushi looked away with tears starting to fill her eyes. Her eyes wandered over to the glimmering water, as she envied the calmness that the pool seemed to provide.
Lavanya took a deep breath. She had worried that Khushi would misconstrue her actions and owed her a valid explanation. She had been trying to spare her friend the pain that destiny had chosen to bestow upon her. " I did avoid you in the beginning. I was heartbroken when I left here Chamkili. I had deep feelings for ASR and I left her upon realization that he did not reciprocate those same feelings. Di, Naniji, Mamiji, and even you, everyone had become a vital part of my life and I considered everyone family. I formed such close bonds with everyone in the short time I was here. I cried many nights in sadness and despair, questioning as to why everything that had become so important to me had been snatched from me. ASR called me occasionally, I knew it was because he felt guilty and was worried. It was very easy for me to have a normal conversation with him, without revealing my true state.

But with you, I knew that I didn't have the capability to carry a normal conversation with you without you perceiving that something was wrong. I knew you would worry yourself crazy and that is why I avoided you. Time does heal all wounds though, as I am the perfect example." as she finished her explanation somberly. Describing her woes so effortlessly had surprised her, as she let her eyes roam about. A gust of wind blew and she watched small waves ripple across the water. There was an eerie silence as she awaited Khushi's reaction.
Khushi had been listening to the explanation. A combination of sadness and compassion came over her as she began to realize the extent of heartache that Lavanyaji had experienced. "I'm so sorry Lavanyaji that you had so much pain Lavanyaji. I " she couldn't finish her sentence as her silent tears turned into sobs. She covered her face with her hands, and brought her knees to her chest trying to seek comfort.
"Chamkili, it's not your fault. It's not anybody's fault, it was my destiny. You know they say it is better to have loved and lost, than never to have loved at all. It's true. I'm really happy now and I wouldn't be the person I am today if it wasn't for you, whom I met because ASR." as her arms wrapped around her shoulders, in her attempt to cheer Khushi up. The last thing she wanted was to upset her. She had really missed Khushi and longed to see the vivacious Khushi. "I am just in town for a few days, are you going to spend it crying or are we going to have some real fun?"
Khushi lifted her head and smiled through her teary eyes. Lavanya smiled back as the two friends shared an emotional hug. Khushi owed it to her to make her visit a pleasant one. She couldn't wait to start planning the next few days.
Arnav watched from afar as Lavanya and Khushi bridged the distance between them, in more ways than one. A buzzing sound averted his attention to the Khushi's cell phone that was lying on the table. His face tensed as the display read : Rohan calling.
No comments:
Post a Comment